Air Fried Veggie Empanadas
Prep Time: 35 MINS
- In large bowl add flour and salt, mix to combine. Add diced cold butter and shortening, mix together with your hands until the flour until is fully combined and there are no pieces bigger than a size of a pea. Pour in the boiling water, mix with a wooden spoon until combined and then turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until dough comes together into a smooth ball. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- While the dough rests, make the filling. Heat a medium sized pan of over medium, once hot add olive oil and onion, cook for 3 minutes until onion begins to soften. Add potatoes, cook for another 5 minutes, stirring often. Then add red pepper, cumin and paprika, let cook for 2 minutes, then add the tomatoes, ½ cup of water. Let cook for another 5 minutes or until potatoes are tender, season with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to a bowl to cool. Once cool, stir in chopped cilantro.
- Preheat oven to 425°F on Air fry mode. Learn more about Air Fry. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Cut dough in half and roll out on a lightly floured surface until is approximately 1/8 inch thick. Cut out rounds with a 3 ½ inch cookie cutter, cutting as many rounds as you can. Gather the scraps into a bowl and wrap with plastic wrap. Roll out each circle individually to make them a bit thinner. Place about 1 tbsp of filling in each circle and then crimp the edges by hand or with a fork. Transfer the empanadas to the baking sheets. Brush with egg wash.
- Bake empanadas for 10 minutes or until golden brown, turning tray halfway through baking. Serve warm.
- ¼ cup, 2 tbsp butter, cold
- 3 tbsp shortening
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 ½ cup boiling water
- 4 cups all–purpose flour, plus more rolling out dough
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can black beans (540 ml), rinsed and drained
- 1 medium onion, small dice
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 small yukon gold potato, small dice (150 g)
- 1 medium sized tomato, small dice (130 g)
- Half a bell pepper (90 g) – 30 g waste
- ¼ cup raisins, soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes, then drained
- ½ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten for egg wash
- Salt and pepper, to taste