Beet and Buttermilk Soup
This glorious pink soup is delicious with traditional dill or fresh coriander.
- In saucepan of boiling salted water, cover and cook beets until tender and skins slip off easily, about 25 minutes.
- Drain and let cool; slip off skins and cut into small pieces. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. (Beets can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.)
- In large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the onions, sour cream, dill, sugar, vinegar and salt.
- Then add the beets to the liquid and with a hand blender blend until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled or for up to 6 hours. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Ladle chilled soup into serving bowls. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream, diced cucumber, green onions and dill or coriander sprigs.
Crank up your cooking tip:
To ensure the pork loin is cooked evenly, use the PowerPlus™ Temperature Probe for great results!
- 5 beets, (1-1/4 lb/625 g)
- 3 cups (750 mL) buttermilk
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) chopped green onions
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) light sour cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh dill or fresh coriander
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- Diced (unpeeled) cucumber
- Fresh dill sprigs or fresh coriander sprigs
- Dollop of sour cream