Make the most beautiful side dish for your guests! The crispy red onion flower is a sure-fire hit at your next dinner party!
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Make a total of 4 vertical cuts in each onion to create 8 wedges still attached at the root end.
- Drizzle a little of the olive oil into a baking dish, then arrange onions root end down.
- Spoon remaining olive oil into and around onions. Sprinkle generously with salt, getting some into the center of the onions. Toss in herbs.
- Roast for 40 minutes.
- Rearrange onions so that their petals open, and drizzle with a few spoonfuls of the caramelized onion juices from the pan.
- Roast until onions are tender on the inside with crispy bits on their outer petals, about 20 minutes longer.
- Season with pepper and more salt to taste.
- Serve hot or at room temperature as a side dish, or as dinner with a good cheese and a green salad.