White Bean Meatballs with Zucchini Noodles
This recipe ticks off all the boxes. It’s vegetarian and packed with protein and fibre. It’s made of canned beans, which is one of the cheapest ingredients in my house. And it’s super easy to make. Seriously, if you can throw things in a food processor, roll them, and bake them, you can make this delicious meal!
- Preheat oven to 350 F and place a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat into the oven to preheat.
- Pulse the rolled oats in the food processor until they turn into a rough powder. Add in the beans, tomatoes, onion, garlic, parsley, basil, egg, oregano, cheese, balsamic, salt and pepper and puree until smooth and well mixed.
- Roll the mixture into 2-tbsp balls (should make 20-24) and place on the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the spaghetti squash in half and place in a microwave safe dish with 1 inch of water. Microwave on high for 10 minutes, or until it “strings” easily when you scrape the squash with a fork. Set aside.
- After 15 minutes in the oven, preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat and add in the olive oil. Gently add the “meat” balls and brown on all sides. Remove from the pan.
- Add in the zucchini noodles to the pan and toss until coated and lightly cooked, about 2 minutes.
- Pour the pasta sauce into the pan and heat until hot. Add in the spaghetti squash and toss to coat.
- To serve, place the noodles and “meat” balls into four bowls. Top with additional sauce, Parmigiano reggiano cheese and parsley and enjoy.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 15 oz. cans of no-salt added white Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 sundried tomatoes, rehydrated with hot water, finely minced
- 1/2 small onion, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, finely minced
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 6 TBSP. Parmigiano reggiano cheese, finely grated
- 1 1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 zucchini, spiralled into thin noodles
- 1 L low sugar marinara pasta sauce
- Parmigiano reggiano cheese, for garnish
- Italian parsley, finely minced, for garnish