Mini Delectable Caramel Pecan Tarts
Prep Time: 20 MINS
Cook Time: 20 MINS
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two muffin pans with 18 muffin liners.
- Place all the crust ingredients in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the S-blade and pulse for 15 seconds or until there are no large chunks of nuts left. Press 1 tablespoon of crust onto the bottom of the each liner.
- Bake for 7 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for at least 20 minutes. Caramel will leak through if crust is still hot.
- Place the chopped pecans on a baking sheet and roast for 4-6 minutes. Pecans burn easily, so check them every 2 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- To prepare the caramel, heat the sugar, cream, butter, vanilla and salt in a heavy bottom saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until combined and then simmer for 8 minutes. Do not stir. If needed, tilt the pan to redistribute the mixture.
- Remove from the heat. The caramel will be quite thin at this point. Let it cool for 20 minutes or until it begins to thicken. Stir in the nuts and then spoon about 2 tablespoons of caramel pecan mixture onto the top of each baked crust.
- Refrigerate the tarts for 2-3 hours or until the caramel has firmed up.
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour or almond meal
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts
- 4 teaspoons coconut flour*, sifted if lumpy
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 3/4 cup tightly packed dark brown sugar
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups chopped pecans